Prior BigLaw and In-house Experience
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- UniSite, Inc.
- Home Choice Holdings, Inc.
- TrinTel Communications, Inc.
- University of Iowa, B.S. Psychology 1989, with Honors and with Highest Distinction, Collegiate Scholar
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D. 1992, Cum Laude
- Admitted to practice law in Texas
The Key Takeaway
Tracy is a business-minded attorney with extensive big firm, general counsel, and business operational experience (he has been in your shoes), which positions him to utilize the firm’s innovative platform to provide you with practical, straight-forward, legal advice, at a cost-effective rate.
Tracy grew up in Iowa in a family newspaper business, where he observed and learned the values of hard work and perseverance. Sports and academics dominated his four brother household. After graduating with honors and with highest distinction from the University of Iowa in 1989, he was thrilled to be accepted by, and then graduate with honors from, one of the most respected law schools in the country (University of Michigan) in 1992.
Tracy then settled in Texas, where he began his legal career at the largest law firm in Dallas; the firm now known as Gardere Wynne Sewell. After four years of excellent training as a big firm business attorney, he ventured out to become General Counsel for three different companies, along the way being appointed Vice President and GC of a public company at age 30 (Home Choice Holdings), and later serving as President of one of the largest privately held telecommunications tower ownership companies in the country at age 35 (TrinTel Communications). After the successful sale of TrinTel, Tracy launched and managed a boutique law firm providing fractional general counsel services to various companies, co-founded a corporate restructure consulting firm, and managed and provided business development and general counsel services to a fast-growing boutique insurance coverage law firm.
Personally, Tracy has two great kids, both of whom attend Oklahoma State University, so he has naturally become a big fan of Stillwater and the Pokes. His passion the past few years (some whisper “obsession”) is running. He has run multiple marathons (7) and half marathons (26), but who’s counting?! Recently, he has found great joy in helping others who enjoy the sport, volunteering to coach half and full marathon training groups for the Dallas Running Club.
- Served as President of one of the largest privately held telecommunications tower ownership companies in the country (TrinTel); negotiated and closed $145 million asset sale of TrinTel
- Effectively managed Legal, Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Risk Management and Information Technology departments for TrinTel
- Managed flow of information to the Board of Directors of TrinTel, both during and between Board meetings
- Negotiated and closed $75 million senior debt facility refinance with Goldman Sachs for TrinTel
- Core member of senior management team that developed and implemented company restructuring of TrinTel by cleaning up the balance sheet and eliminating unprofitable service businesses
- Core member of senior management team that negotiated and closed $75 million venture capital equity, $25 million subordinated debt, and $75 million senior debt for TrinTel
- Core member of senior management team that negotiated and closed the sale of Home Choice (NASDAQ: HMCH), a publicly held industry leader in the rent-to-own business, to Rent-Way, Inc., (NYSE: RWY) in a $500 million pooling merger, and supported merger integration
- General Counsel and senior management team member at multiple companies, each with ever-increasing business management responsibilities; legal responsibilities included providing day-to-day strategic legal counsel, including contract negotiation and management, acquisition support, financing support, public securities compliance, risk management analysis, labor matters support, litigation management, including multiple mediations, and board meeting management
- Restructured in-house legal department to support build-out strategy for TrinTel; created targeted documentation and negotiating processes to support the site development, construction and ownership of 468 towers in 23 states, including lead negotiator to review, document and close the acquisition of 100 of the towers through multiple transactions
- Created in-house legal department to support consolidation roll-up strategy for Home Choice, a $275 million public company and industry leader in the rent-to-own business with 475 stores in 23 states, including the acquisition of 175 stores in a reverse public merger
- Negotiated and closed $80 million line of credit for Home Choice
- Provided day-to-day fractional general counsel services and strategic legal counsel to various companies; extensive experience with performing due diligence in various business transactions
- Managed and provided business development and general counsel services to a fast-growing boutique insurance coverage law firm