Prior BigLaw and In-house Experience
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal, LLP
- Mavenir Systems, Inc.
- Vanderbilt Law School, J.D. 1984
- Class rank: first in the class (1/170)
- Founder’s Medal, Jackson Prize, Martin Medal
- Associate Articles Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law
- University of Tennessee, B.A. 1981
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Eta Sigma Phi
- Rush chairman, Beta Theta Pi
- New York
- Virginia (Inactive)
The professional story…
Sam Garrett is a veteran general counsel, former executive officer of an NYSE software company and former partner and counsel at major law firms based in New York, London, Virginia and Texas. For Sam’s full CV, including lists of representative matters, please click here: Sam Garrett CV
Sam’s exceptionally broad experience across the private company, public company and private equity stages enables Sam and his legal teams to meet business goals on time and budget, or better.
Growth and efficiency energize Sam, and he is delighted to be a member of this fast-growing, low-cost-structure virtual law firm.
Sam’s core practice areas are:
- Corporate and commercial entity matters
- Commercial contracts and general business counseling
- Board, executive and compensation matters
- Compliance, including SEC, FCPA and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Mergers and acquisitions (80+ closed transactions)
- Funding of all kinds, including securities and other financings, whether debt, equity, convertible or hybrid (200+ closed transactions, including 53 IPOs)
- IP agreements and IP program management
- Confidentiality, non-competition and similar matters
- Dispute resolution, threat management and supervision of litigation
- insurance programs and claim matters
As a member of Grable Martin Fulton PLLC, Sam has in-house access to top-flight attorneys in such areas as patent prosecution, tax, employment, benefits, labor and litigation.
…and the rest of the story
From time to time Sam serves on the boards of non-profit charities, in the past including The Episcopal Church (Dallas), Uganda Partners and Westminster Canterbury (Virginia). Sam has also made humanitarian trips to the Peruvian Andes, northern Nigeria and Uganda.
It seems Sam is always adding another special interest, but three constants are fiction, tennis and movies. In fiction, Sam enjoys short stories by writers like Tobias Wolff and nearly anyone published in Glimmer Train. In tennis, Sam plays doubles and mixed doubles more often than singles, but enjoys them all. Regarding movies, Sam is always ready to enjoy the latest and greatest in theaters, but will admit to having hundreds of movies and TV series in his home collection, ranging from 1930s classics like It Happened One Night and Grand Illusion to modern Sci Fi like the mind-bending Inception and yes, every Star Trek and Stargate episode ever made.