Prior In-house Experience
- US Army JAGC
- Verizon Communications Inc.
- Dex Media LLC
- University of Notre Dame, BA 1975
- University of Texas School of Law, JD 1978
- Admitted to Practice in Texas
- Admitted to Practice in the US District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Texas
- Admitted to Practice US Court of Appeals for the Armed Services
Joe A. Garza, Jr.
Joe Garza is a senior commercial attorney who uniquely brings together a blend of his proven in-house public legal pedigree with his competitive, team-minded sports passions. He garners a philosophy that identifies problems early and partners with clients to deliver superior results that often exceed their business objectives. Following this philosophy, Joe has earned a series of successes with his client partners:
- instituting an in-house legal collection process collecting over $35 M net in one year,
- co-negotiated and closed a $41 M asset sale and three stock sales valued over $54 M,
- eliminated the risk of a sales practice,
- used his lean six sigma skills to lower repetitive litigation costs by $5000 per case and further reduced electronic discovery costs by $9542 on a per custodian basis,
- served as trusted advisor to several departments at GTE, Verizon, and Dex Media, and
- delivered many high value litigation defense victories.
Joe makes an impact by helping companies succeed and by providing strategic solutions as a trusted partner of the leadership team. His wide variety of experiences, coupled with his tenacious leadership style, fuel his success.
Joe was born in San Antonio, the Alamo City. Early on, Joe had a thirst for learning, excelled at school and at the end of high school was awarded an Army ROTC scholarship. Stepping out of the warm climate in South Texas, Joe enrolled at the University of Notre Dame. While Joe was not an athlete, he did not miss one home Irish football or basketball game in four years. As graduation approached, the Army encouraged Joe to take an active duty delay for more schooling.
Seizing on that opportunity, Joe enrolled at the University of Texas School of Law. Finding no immediate need for the 40 sweaters he accumulated in South Bend, Joe spent most of his time in Austin working to hone his legal skills. Following a theme, Joe attended almost all of the UT Longhorn home games.
After graduation and after passing the bar exam, Joe went into the Army. By now you know Joe is not shy about new opportunities. Joe started his legal career as a JAG Captain, assigned first to the 1st Armored Division in Southern Germany, and later to the 1st Cavalry Division in Fort Hood, Texas. After two tours of prosecution work, where Joe enjoyed a 92.5% winning rate in a competitive practice, Joe left the Army and joined a small law firm in Dallas where he practiced civil litigation in the courts of Dallas, Tarrant and Collin Counties.
After working at the firm for four years, Joe began working in-house at GTE, which, after a merger with Bell Atlantic, became Verizon. Joe held numerous positions with the company and worked on numerous special projects. While at Verizon, Joe represented the company in labor arbitrations, represented the company in front of regulatory authorities, developed and implemented a company-wide intake process for receipt of citation, served as Assistant Secretary to a Verizon subsidiary, provided legal advice to the Verizon risk management department, provided legal support to the Manhattan Restoration Team seeking reimbursement from NY state for Verizon’s uninsured losses suffered from the terrorists’ attacks of September 11, 2001, supported the contract management department and rewrote and harmonized the procurement contracts for the company, and assisted the M&A team as a special project closing a $41 Million asset sale and three stock purchase sales valued at over $54 Million.
Most recently, Joe was the head of the litigation group at Dex Media and was responsible, along with his staff, for all the litigation and risk prevention for the company. Joe and his team oversaw a diverse docket of litigation involving breach of contract, employment disputes, labor arbitrations, securities cases, patent and copyright infringement cases and complex class actions all filed in the courts of 44 states. Additionally, Joe and his team supported HR, sales support and the national sales operation. Joe used his lean six sigma skills to drive the costs down for outsourced legal work and to make his team work more efficiently for the benefit of his internal clients.
Joe is happily married to Norma, who as luck would have it, shares his love for college football. Joe and Norma have season tickets to both the Notre Dame home football games and the Texas home football games. Joe and Norma enjoy wearing the “green” and “burnt orange” to the appropriate stadiums every fall weekend. Joe has three sons, David, Daniel and Michael. Joe is a religious runner, logging about 20 miles a week. And no family would be complete without Chico, a perfect beagle who rules the back yard. Squirrels beware and enter at your own risk!
AWARDS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- GTE Lawyer of the Year (2)
- Numerous Verizon and Dex Media Excellence and Leadership Awards
- Several Army Medals
- Speaking engagements include several Corporate Counsel Symposiums and Annual Meetings of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, UT Corporate Counsel Institute, and several State Bar
- Corporate Counsel Conferences